Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Rams

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

It's Girl's State Tournament Time - AND I'M BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!


Well, good news (for a change) as I've been credentialed for media at the Minnesota Girl's State Tournament that begins tomorrow (Wednesday 3-13) and naturally I'm excited for all the games and match-ups.  The catch is that I'm credentialed as long as the teams that I'm covering are still alive.  Once they're gone, I'm out so I can't guarantee anything about how long I'll be able to blog.  My plan right now is to provide game recaps as I'll be focusing primarily on the Class AAAA games tomorrow and I'm not sure yet as to the two Class AA games on Wednesday evening with two at Williams Arena and the other two next door at Maturi Pavilion.  Being that it's late at night already, let's just take a quick glimpse at each of the four classes:


Class A:  The small schools get going on Thursday (3-14) and top-seeded Minneota appears to be the heavy favorite here but I would keep my eye on Goodhue as this program has been here before over the years and Head Coach Josh Wieme knows a thing or two about winning on the big stage in pressure situations.  Can't completely put it past the Wildcats to pull off the unthinkable here.

Class AA:  This group gets going Wednesday night and although Roseau is the favorite again here as the top seed, second-seeded Holy Family is another threat that will have to be reckoned with.  Another team that I'm hearing a lot of good things about:  Unseeded St. Peter. 

Class AAA:  This group could be the funnest and most unpredictable of all.  De La Salle is the top seed here and perhaps rightfully so but the one team that caught my eye late in the season is Becker.  My God, this young group is so incredibly fun to watch and you're missing out if you don't watch this group play.  It's probably a long shot but you can't count the Bulldogs out and this young group has absolutely nothing to lose.  Class AAA gets going Wednesday morning next door at Maturi Pavilion.

Class AAAA:  Is this the year that top-seeded Hopkins FINALLY gets over the hump after being denied the last few years?  PROBABLY......BUT, I would expect strong challenges from both third-seeded Eastview and second-seeded Stillwater.  But here's the team that probably no one would have given a second thought about back in late January - Centennial.  This group is peaking at exactly the right time and, more importantly, they have senior post Sara Stapleton back healthy again and in full force.  Just do NOT take this team lightly as they have the ability to make the Class AAAA bracket go completely kablooey.  Yes, you heard it hear first. 


So with that.  I hope to see you all down at Williams Arena/Maturi Pavilion this week.  Let the games begin!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment