Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Rams

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve Musings


With the holiday break upon us, I thought it might be a good time to take a somewhat whimsical look at things on the womens college and girls high school basketball front.

 

1.        Okay, so pretty much everyone (me included) has, for all intents and purposes, crowned UST as MIAC champs.  The big question I have on my mind now is who is going to be that team that comes in second and has a realistic shot at getting a ticket to the Dance as well?  I initially thought CSB was going to be that team but given the kind of year they’ve had so far, their stock has gone way down.  Concordia is a solid bet but would anyone be willing to place money on Bethel?  I would.

2.        I’ve got to get over to the other side of the River and catch a WIAC game this year.  I just HAVE to.  I really like that UW-Superior team and one of these years they’re going to find a way to win it.

3.       Yes, Hopkins is still the favorite to win the Class AAAA title – AGAIN – this year.  But they’ll get tested mightily this time around.  And the likely candidates to do that are Eastview and Lakeville North.

4.       Props to the GAC team for wearing black socks with their road black unis.  It just looks – good.  Very good.

5.       In case I haven’t mentioned it already, Hamline – by far and away – is my favorite MIAC venue to watch a game.  It’s not only the birthplace of intercollegiate basketball, but I really like the music they play over there as well.  AND, most importantly, they serve Pepsi (aka God’s nectar).  

6.       I know this has been bandied about for the last several years but wouldn’t it be cool if there could be a MIAC/WIAC or a MIAC/IIAC challenge?  It’s something that’s been LONG overdue, IMHO.

7.       If there’s any player out there that has a better shooting form than Jolene Blood of Augsburg, I’d sure like to see it.  Maybe the best I’ve seen since Angie Peterson-Potts’ playing days at GAC.

8.       Look out for Carleton.  There’s something special brewing on the east side of Northfield – again.

9.       Anoka-Ramsey may not have as dominant a team as they’ve had in the last few years but if there’s one guy who can have them in position to win another natty it’s David DeWitt.  He ALWAYS finds a way.

10.   I’m lucky I get to go to my share of Northwest Suburban Conference game as it’s the best HS conference out there.  There could be a team or two from this conference that winds up at state with a bloodied and battered overall record just getting through the NWSC in one piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment