Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Rams

Sunday, October 13, 2019

A New Season Is Almost Upon Us - And Other Thoughts


Well, here were are again - just a few short days before practice begins for many DIII (and DII) schools.  Yes, it is a very exciting time of the year and I plan on being out and about checking out some of the practices of the various teams around town and trying to get a feel for how things may shake out this year.  It's always fun!

I did want to offer up some more thoughts on the UST kerfuechle.  As you likely know by now, the Tommies were recently extended an invitation to join the Summit League and make the jump from DIII to D1; pending an approval/waiver from the NCAA.  I'll be right front up honest with you:  I don't like this......I would have much preferred that UST stay within the DIII spectrum with a move to the WIAC or ARC or, failing that, remain a DIII independent.  I think that, a move to D1 is a substantial jump that, despite their great facilities, may be a bit more than they're prepared to chew.  The dominance that UST has enjoyed in several sports (including women's basketball) will most likely end should the waiver be approved by the NCAA.  Now, if it's something that UST genuinely wants to do given the situation they were put in, then hey, more power to 'em I guess.  I just think they acted a bit prematurely here and maybe didn't do the homework that they thought they did.  We'll see.

As for the MIAC, things have changed drastically for them now with UST as a lame-duck member.  I still do not like what the administrations of some schools did with this issue; much less how it was handled by the conference.  I guess it's easy to cry over spilled milk but now the MIAC must look ahead and move forward and assess the damage that's been done.  They've now lost a charter member that -whether they like it or not - brought a helluva lot of prestige to the conference.  That prestige and recognition will soon be gone and I really don't see any other member school programs ready to step up to the plate to try and bring it back in any sport.  I just don't.  What's more is that, with UST about to be gone, the MIAC likely has little choice but to try and entice another school (or schools) to jump ship and join the conference to fill the void that they created with this mess.  And whether that's Northwestern, St. Scholastica, Bethany Lutheran or someone else, it still will never fill the void that will be left once UST is gone. 

In any event, I look forward to the practices I hope to attend this week and will give reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment