Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Rams

Friday, January 1, 2021

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

 A trying and tumultuous 2020 is finally behind us and we begin this new year of 2021 with (I think) renewed optimism and hope.  I mean, let's face it.  After this last year, there really is only one way to go and that's up.  But in order to do that, we must still remain vigilant in exercising all precautions when it comes to COVID-19 - masking up, social distancing, avoiding large gatherings, washing our hands and the like.  With the vaccines now being introduced, it finally provides a path; an opportunity, to get these numbers to start plummeting in time.  We will get there.  There is hope.  

First, I wanted to provide something of an update on the high school situation.  As I'm sure you're all aware of by now, the MSHSL announced its long-anticipated guidelines and plans for the 2020-21 winter sports season (you can view the guidelines and procedures https://www.mshsl.org/sites/default/files/2020-12/mshsl-basketball-guidance-and-information-12_30_20_0.pdf ).  Practices for HS teams are slated to begin on 1-4-21 (Monday) with competition to begin ten days later on 1-14-21.  A review of the guidelines and procedures that are provided on the MSHSL website is quite thorough and I'd be amiss to not give MSHSL credit here for trying to address all potential problems and situations that might crop up.  The big items that stick out to me are (1) the requirement of masks to be worn during both practice and competition and (2) the no-spectator policy.  I'll be honest with you:  I do have some reservations about the mask policy and how effective it may be (or may not be) during practice and competition.  I say this only because I've realized myself how hard it is to work out with a mask on doing weights (I wouldn't even think to try it when I'm on the tennis court or doing cardio - it just ain't happening).  However, at the same time, I also realize how badly these student-athletes want to play - particularly the seniors - and given that, I want to have every possible avenue open for them to do just that and I think all the guidelines and procedures that have been established by MSHSL to operate in this kind of an environment provide the safety that everybody is seeking.  Now, I'm not exactly sure how the policy on no spectators applies to media people or bloggers (such as myself); I'm guessing that coaches/administrators may want to limit things to essential personnel at game sites and I'm completely fine with that.  I anticipated long ago that this would probably be the situation if we were even going to have a high school winter sports season.  The bottom line here is that I just hope we can get through this without having the proverbial plug pulled because of a new outbreak.  That would be incredibly unfortunate for everybody involved.  So let's keep our fingers crossed here and hope everything works out okay.    

Second, I wanted to give you an idea of what my hopes/plans are for this month and going forward for the forseeable future.  With the MIAC, WIAC, and UMAC schedules all (apparently) slated to start up in February, my plan is to provide game recaps/scores/info on the NSIC women's hoops scene that is set to go tomorrow (Saturday 1-2).  A check of the NSIC website and attendance policy (https://northernsun.org/sports/2020/12/29/Attendance_Policy.aspx) is interesting as the policies vary amongst the member schools.  At Concordia St Paul, for example, no spectators will be allowed for the first two weekends of games and then the policy will be re-evaluated.  At Mary, spectators are limited to family only while Northern State and University of Sioux Falls are at 25% and 20% of capacity, respectively.  Schools such as Bemidji State, UM-Duluth, Minnesota State and Moorhead State are no spectators.  I'm just guessing here that I'll pretty much be relegated to following games online and I'm completely fine with that.  So I'll be likely following Concordia St Paul's game with Minnesota-Crookston tomorrow afternoon online and provide a re-cap plus other scores from around the conference.  Given what 2020 has dealt us already, it's certainly better than nothing.  

So let's try and make the best out of a not-so-great situation at the moment and be grateful for what we do have.  And, as always, please do feel free to fire away with thoughts.          

     

No comments:

Post a Comment