Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Rams

Monday, January 7, 2013

MIAC Power Rankings 1-7-13

Well, here we are; the first Monday in January 2013 and it's time once again for my weekly MIAC Power Rankings:

1.  UST
2.  GAC
3.  Concordia
4.  SMU
5.  CSB
6.  Hamline
7.  St. Olaf
8.  Macalester
9.  (tie) Carleton & Augsburg
10.  (tie) Bethel & St. Kate's

At this early point in the season, it's difficult to deviate from the actual standings too much.  No surprise to who's still at the top.  But how about GAC sporting a 7-0 conference record so far and 8-2 overall?  I have to admit that even I could not have forseen that one.  Whether GAC can continue on this unexpected run I don't know but I think you have to give first year Head Coach Laurie Kelly a LOT of credit for bringing this squad to where they are right now.  That said, Gusties have two big games coming up this week - tonight at Macalester and then Wednesday night at home against UST.  Gusties found out last year the hard way that they'd better not take Scots for granted in Leonard Center.  And GAC has been UST's little b***h the last few seasons.  Concordia, meanwhile, is still solid; still rolling right along as expected.  SMU, despite taking a hit last Wednesday night at GAC remains in the thick of things.  I give them an edge over CSB at this point anyway.  Hamline is in the sixth spot in my rankings because I can't justify putting St. Olaf over them at this juncture.  I do, however, give the Oles the benefit of the doubt as I have them in the seventh spot as they found a way to overcome a very sluggish start at Bethel on Saturday.  But, as I've said before, their margin for error is practically non-existent at this point and blowing a 27 point second half lead at Concordia last week burned up another one of their lifelines.       

No comments:

Post a Comment