Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Rams

Monday, January 14, 2013

MIAC Power Ranksings 1-14-13

Just getting into mid-January and already we're getting a glimpse of how incredibly crazy this conference can be at times.  Saturday's events obviously shake things up some but I've a feeling this may only be the beginning.

First, before I go too far here I want to offer my sincerest apologies to the Gustavus program for the remark that I made last week.  It was off-color and highly inappropriate and, contrary to what I was trying to convey.  I don't deny that I get a little carried away sometimes with what I say and how I try to say it and I guess this was one of those times.  It should have been done differently.  Lesson learned.  That said, it doesn't change the situation because, in the final analysis, no matter how you twist it or turn it or slice it and dice it, it is what it is and the numbers don't lie.

Moving right along, let's take a look at how things are on this Monday morning....

1.  UST
2.  GAC
3.  SMU
4.  CSB
5.  Concordia
6.  Hamline
7.  Augsburg
8.  St. Olaf
9.  Macalester
10.  Carleton
11.  Bethel
12.  St. Kate's

So, who'd have thunk it?  CSB pulled off the upset of the weekend (maybe of the year) by knocking off big bad UST at home in St. Joe.  Realistically, I think this young Blazer team is probably a year away from seriously contending for the title but Saturday's stunning upset I think gives us the first glimpse of what this team is capable of.  I'll keep UST at the top spot for now by virtue of the 65-43 shellacking they handed the #2 team in the rankings, GAC, at Schoenecker West.....I mean, I mean, Lund Arena, this last Wednesday night.  Now, however, UST finds their lofty spot atop the hill suddenly slippery and they'd better be careful because there's a host of challengers more than happy and ready to replace them.  GAC, as expected, rebounded from Wednesday night's defeat by cruising to an easy win over at St. Kate's on Saturday.  At the moment, they would appear to be the heir apparent to take over the top spot should UST stumble again as they're tied with the Tommies in the actual standings for first place.  SMU took care of business at home over the last couple of outings as expected but, in the other stunner this last weekend Hamline, despite having their bus careen off an icy I-94 on Friday night, got into Moorhead on Saturday and shocked the Cobbers in OT.  This Hamline team may very well be the most dangerous team in the conference right now and when they're hot, look out.  As a result, the Birds move up to #3 while the Corn slides down to #5.

Elsewhere, can ANYONE out there please explain what the deal is with St. Olaf???  Yes, they did win on Saturday but they had to pull off a late run to stave off defeat AT HOME against Augsburg.  Just not very impressive, IMHO, of a team with the kind of talent that they have.  At this juncture, it's difficult for me to envision the Oles overtaking Hamline for that sixth spot UNLESS the Pipers get riddled again with red crosses like they did last year with the injury bug (hmm...a lot like my fantasy football team every year).  I give the Scots the 9th spot for now as I haven't seen Carleton play yet.  Bethel, despite Saturday's loss in Winona, appears to be getting incrementally better with each outing as they picked up their first conference win this last Wednesday night against St. Kate's.

No comments:

Post a Comment