Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Rams

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Previewing The 2020 Minnesota Girl's State Tournament


It's that time of year again to preview the grand show and showcase for Girl's High School Basketball in the state.  I'm planning on covering things at Williams Arena beginning tomorrow (Wednesday) through Saturday night and I'll do my best to provide game recaps although I expect things to be a bit more challenging this time around with the lack of programs and the other cost-saving measures the MSHSL has decided to adopt recently.  But, all that aside, let's look at each class and provide a synopsis of what to expect:


Class A - This always seems to be the most unpredictable field of all and because I'm not close to and normally don't get to cover any Class A schools, this is field I know the least about.  However, I think it's only fair to point the needle to number-one seed Minneota in this group as they've been here before and know what it's all about.  However, I would expect second-seeded Cromwell-Wright to give them a stern challenge should they meet up in the Championship Game on Saturday at high noon.


Class AA -  Rochester Lourdes is the number-one seed in this group but don't underestimate second-seeded Sauk Centre as they seem to get here all the time and Head Coach Scott Bergman always seems to know what buttons to push to get his squad ready.  New London-Spicer is an interesting team at the third-seed and fifth-seeded Waseca could surprise. 


Class AAA - DeLaSalle is the top-seed here and perhaps rightfully so but I'm banking on second-seeded Becker here.  I didn't get to cover this team this year but this group is the real deal and they showed it by getting to the Class AAA Championship Game last year where they were defeated by the Islanders.  Holy Angels is another team to keep your eye on and they're probably the last team anyone in this field wants to see. 


Class AAAA - Okay, now we're getting into an area that I know a little more about here.....First off, know and understand that Hopkins absolutely should be the number-one seed here, without question.  Look, when you have someone like Paige Bueckers leading the way for your team, how can you possibly go wrong.  But, as I learned right after the Christmas break, this Hopkins team is more than just Bueckers.  Sophomore post Maya Nnaji has really been a force down low and she can easily pick up the slack if necessary.  So, in short, Hopkins is going to be the heavy favorite here and I have no problem with that.  I think Park Center, the program I'm closest to, has the potential to do some damage but, unfortunately for them, they're in the same section as Hopkins.  I know second-seeded Farmington has been highly-regarded all year long and I haven't had the opportunity to see them play.  But, if I had to gamble and give one team in this entire a field a shot to do the unthinkable, I'd lay my money out on STMA.  I'm tellin' ya, this group is incredible to watch when they're clicking on all cylinders and they had Hopkins in a bad spot in Lindbergh Center back in January before the Royals rallied to win in the second half.  I really like this team and they will be the one team you will want to keep your eye on.  Trust me.


Well, it all starts tomorrow at 10:00 A.M. at the Barn with top-seeded Hopkins taking on eighth-seeded Cambridge-Isanti.  Hope to see your there this week or weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment