Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Rams

Friday, March 13, 2020

An Incredibly Empty Feeling.... 3-13-20


As I sit at home here on this Friday evening; thinking about how I would normally be at Williams Arena right now covering the Girl's State Tournament, I've been trying all day to get my feelings and emotions into perspective after I found out this morning that the MSHSL, somewhat predicatably, decided to put a fork in the rest of the Girl's Tournament and the Boy's Section finals that were supposed to happen tonight and the subsequent state tournament for them this next week due to the Covid-19 outbreak.  I think after it was announced yesterday that the third place and consolation games had been wiped out and that attendance would be limited to immediate family members only and essential staff and credentialed media (such as myself), I think you could kind of see the almost inevitable end coming but I was still shocked nonetheless and it really made me think about things during the day today as I took most of the time trying to get my blog caught up from yesterday's semifinal games in both Class AAA and Class AAAA.

First, my heart simply breaks in half for the seniors on the teams that had anticipated getting at least three games out of this deal and some were lucky to get two out of it.  It's such an unprecedented way for a season to end and, as badly as I feel about things, consider how these young ladies feel right  now and what they wouldn't give to be able to put that uniform on one more time with pride and ball out and leave it out there on the floor.  Sadly, they won't get to do that now and there's nothing anyone can do about it.  I think it's safe to say that they'll always be asking "What if" for years to come; wondering what might have been had they been able to play that last game.  There's some who have even suggested on social media that maybe these teams should just meet up - unofficially - to settle it in their minds once and for all in some gym and I wouldn't blame them if they did somewhere down the road.  Hell, if they did, I'd gladly go and watch.  😁   

And it's the same story on the college side as well.  The Division III tournament was wiped out not to mention both DI and DII sides and my hearts go out to the seniors to all those teams.  I'm just thankful that the Bethel pod the previous weekend went on as planned without a hitch.  To all these seniors, I simply say "Thank you!"  You will not be forgotten.

While I know the decisions for both the various high school leagues and NCAA/NAIA to undertake, I understand what they did and why they did it.  These are unprecedented times in which we live right now and I believe that this too, shall pass.  For me personally, this even affects me on the tennis side as the USTA has shuttered events/tournaments for the time being and it's hard to tell when things will get back to "normal" again.  I'm just trying to do my part.

In the meantime, stay safe and vigilant everyone.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment